At a glance, a city could be relatively compared to a living, breathing organism. It has a pulse, a life cycle and one could say it roots itself deep into the earth, much like a tree. Like roots, these complex and often overlooked subterranean systems sustain life at the surface. Without these infrastructure networks, life as we know it would come to a halt. These vital systems bring us our water, provide us with energy and lights, yet we hardly ever think of them unless they fail. Only when our daily lives are interrupted are we even aware of their importance and connection to us as a whole and individuals. Here, within these pages, I present to you just a fraction of what lies beneath: the stormwater drains, sewer systems, utility tunnels and the former harbor defenses. It is an abstract yet essential look into the underground worlds of our beloved city by the sea, Portland, Maine.
World Wide Shipping Available
- -Published by Legacy Photo Collective
- -Pre-orders open March 20th, 2018
- -Publishing date April 3rd, 2018
- -First edition, 75 standard editions.
- -25 special editions signed+ 5x7 print.
- -Photographs by Nicholas Gervin
- -Text / Edit by Michelle Ferris
- -Introduction by Nicholas Gervin
- -Size: 8.5x10
- -40 pages, 80# gloss text
- -Soft cover, 80# cover stock, saddle stitch
- -Printed in Portland, Maine U.S.A.